"I'm glad I didn’t wait to start the course because that would have been more of my life wasted."
Kerrie BeitzelRead more »
FAQs - Course
How do I know if there is a course run in my area?
The Life! program is run across the entire state of Victoria. Call the Life! team on 13RISK to find out where your closest course is. Life! also offers a flexible telephone health coaching service which allows you to participate in the course from your own home at a time that suits you.
What does a Life! course cover?
- The importance of good nutrition and regular physical activity
- Risk factors for type 2 diabetes, heart disease and stroke and their link to lifestyle
- Goal setting to assist in the adoption and maintenance of lifestyle changes
- Linkages to local programs and services to adopt lifestyle changes.
How long does a Life! course run for?
The course runs over six sessions, over a period of six months. You will have an individual ‘Introductory Session’ with a health professional, the remaining five group sessions are run fortnightly with the final session taking place after four months, allowing participants to apply their new skills to everyday life.
Can I refer a patient who has diabetes to the Life! course?
No. The Life! course is only for those who are at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes, but are not currently living with diabetes.
Does the patient need to be diagnosed with pre-diabetes in order to qualify as eligible for the Life! course?
No. The patient needs to have diabetes excluded. In addition, the patient needs to meet the following criteria:
- Aged 45 years or more and have scored 12 or higher on the Australian Type 2 Diabetes Assessment (AUSDRISK) tool OR
- Aged 18 years or more and be of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent and have scored 12 or more on the AUSDRISK tool OR
- Aged 18 years or more and have previously been diagnosed with heart disease or gestational diabetes
The patient must not have diabetes, angina/ angioplasty/ myocardial infarction (diagnosed in the last 3 months), clinically active cancer and must not be pregnant.
Can I refer a patient with pre-diabetes to the Life! course, without having them complete the diabetes risk test?
No, however a patient with a history of a high risk condition can be referred without completing a diabetes risk test. If no history exists, the patient's AUSDRISK test score is required for a patient to be referred to a Life! course.
What do I need to do to refer a patient to the Life! course?
Simply complete theLife! referral formand fax it to your local Life! facilitator or the central referral service on 9667 1757. The referral form is available in a number of formats, including Medical Director, Genie, Best Practice and Zed Med.
What if a patient is not eligible for the Life! course?
Please contact your Medicare Local, Division of General Practice or Community Health Service to find out what services are available in your area. Encourage your patient to seek information about preventing diabetes from the Diabetes Australia – Vic website www.diabetesvic.org.au or by calling 13 RISK (13 7475).
Information on heart disease can be found on the Heart Foundation website or by
calling 1300 36 27 87.
Information on stroke can be found on The Stroke Foundation website or by calling 1300 194 196.
What if there is not a Life! course available in my region?
We have many courses run across Victoria, call 13 RISK to find out locations of courses near you. You can also refer your patient to the telephone health coaching service.
Are there any exclusions for referring into the Life! program?
Yes. People with any of the following conditions are not eligible to be referred to the Life! program:
- recent angina diagnosis/myocardial infarction within the last 3 months.
Is there a fee for the Life! course?
The course is generally free for most eligible people, including:
- Patients on a Concession or Health Care Card
- Patients on low to medium incomes (as per the Health and Community Care (HACC) guidelines)
- Anyone referred through WorkHealth.
*For all others, a $50 co-payment is required.
Who has duty of care for a patient taking part in a Life! course?
The organisation providing the Life! course has duty of care for the patient
Will I receive feedback on how my patient is progressing on the Life! course?
Yes, you will receive a letter after your patient’s fifth and sixth (final) Life! session. The letter will detail your patient’s progress to date, including lifestyle improvements any change in body weight and waist circumference. You will also be notified if your patient does not complete the course.
What happens after my patient finishes the course?
You will receive a letter notifying you that your patient has completed the Life! course. The letter will also contain information on changes to the patient’s weight and waist circumference, as well as lifestyle changes they have made as a result of the program. Your patient will also be encouraged to see you once a year after they complete the Life! course for follow-up.
Who can refer people to the Life! Telephone Health Coaching program?
- General Practitioners
- Allied health professionals and Life! recognised health professional who implement a first visit.
- People can refer themselves* by calling 13 RISK (13 7475)
*self referrals are asked to nominate their usual GP when referring
Where can I download the AUSDRISK tool?
You can download this tool here
What resources would you recommend to best help me promote my group course to General Practice clinics?
- Life! program overview
- Life! participant referral pathway
- Life! referral form template
- Life! funding agreement
- Life! funding agreement FAQs
- Life! funding agreement - Sample Tax Invoice