"I'm glad I didn’t wait to start the course because that would have been more of my life wasted."
Kerrie BeitzelRead more »
Refer your patients
Referring your patient into the program is a simple, straight forward process.
The Life! program is available to people who meet one of the below criteria:
- Aged 45 years or more and have scored 12 or higher on the Australian Type 2 Diabetes Assessment (AUSDRISK) tool OR
- Aged 18 years or more and be of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent and have scored 12 or more on the AUSDRISK tool OR
- Aged 18 years or more and have previously been diagnosed with heart disease or gestational diabetes.
The patient must not have diabetes, angina/ angioplasty/ myocardial infarction (diagnosed in the last 3 months), clinically active cancer and must not be pregnant.
Funding available when you refer your patients
The Life! program is offering a new funding initiative available to selected health professionals. Under this initiative, you will receive payment when you refer eligible participants into the Life! program. This will be available until the end of the program (June 2015) and is designed to be easy to implement within your settings. See below for details outlining the agreement.
The following steps outline how a patient can be referred:
1) After a patient has been tested and diabetes has been EXCLUDED you can refer he/she into the Life! program by:
1. Complete a Life! referral form
2. Select either Telephone Health Coaching or Life! Group course
3. Fax to either local facilitator or;
4. Fax to the Life! team on 9667-1757.
2) If diabetes has NOT been excluded:
1. Organise the appropriate test to exclude type 2 diabetes, inform the patient they are at risk of developing type 2 diabetes, provide information and resources on type 2 diabetes prevention and advise on the benefits of the Life! program.
If a patient has diabetes:
They are not eligible for the Life! program, but encourage your patient to contact Diabetes Australia– Victoria for more information regarding community support groups and management of their diabetes.
We understand that General Practitioners are busy health professionals and that paperwork is often time consuming. So, to assist General Practitioners in referring high risk patients to the Life! program, we have made available electronic referral templates which can be easily uploaded directly to most General Practice software programs. These include:
For instructions on how to install the electronic referral templates, please click on the link to your specific practice software.
If you are using the PEN CAT (Clinical Audit Tool), download the search directions to help you identify patients at risk of type 2 diabetes. A template is available for you to send a letter to patients who are at high risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease and stroke.
You may download the letter on Life! letterhead or use a plain version to be copied and pasted onto the general practice letterhead. You can also download our Australian Diabetes Risk Assesment Tool (AUSDRISK) to determine eligibility of your patients.
GP’s who refer an eligible patient are provided with feedback on their patient’s progress as they make their way through the program. For further information on funding initiatives, please contact the Primary Care Prevention Coordinator on:03 9667 1773.